Monday, May 28, 2007

AND some photos from Gettysburg, too!






It seems only fitting to also post some other vacation photos! In order from top, are the monument for Joshua Chamberlin and the 20th Maine on Little Round Top, Devil's Den, Little Round Top and the statue of General Warren, the PA Monument, and the marker where Confederate General Armistead first fell.
My Authoress just LOVES Joshua Chamberlin, which really spurred the whole trip to Gettysburg. I remember vaguely going in high school on route home from a band festival in DC, but about all I remember was having my picture taken with friends on a cannon. So much for my love of history back then!
Now, after years of being married to a history buff, and deciding to homeschool, I've come to love history. I grew up in a historical town in Massachusetts, rich in both Revolutionary War history AND literary greats. Still, I never appreciated it until I grew up. It's rewarding to me to have my kids appreciate history now at their ages.....I guess that's the difference between text books and real books/field trips. Make it REAL, and it means something to them!

1 comment:

Mother Crone's Homeschool said...

You are so right! We are just too lucky to live on the East Coast and actually be able to visit these sites! It makes it so much more real for our kids!