Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Back to the Future...

Well, Colonial Day is now over and done with, and it's great to "fast forward" into the future and back to my computer. I think what I missed most today were light bulbs....it was extremely difficult for this post menopause old lady to thread all those needles in the dark!

Yesterday was a long prep day making aprons and coifs (the pilgrim bonnets) for each of the girls. This morning I got up early to roast the chicken and get other things together. When the girls arrived we had "lessons" orally....spelling bee, math drills, and geography. We then made what we THOUGHT would be homemade butter by shaking in jars (with marbles helping to "churn"); however, this appears to be the one blunder I made. Is whipping cream different from just cream? We seemed to be something that more resembled whipped cream as opposed to butter. I'm not sure any of us truly figured out which of the two we made, but it still tasted good on bread at lunchtime!

The younger girls helped peel potatoes for lunch, and we feasted on roast chicken, cranberry sauce, mashed potato, carrots, corn on the cob, grapes, and fresh bread. We had apple cider and juice to drink, and even splurged on licorice sticks for dessert. It was a truly delicious meal!!

After midday meal we began an assortment of projects; most girls made a poppet, some played marbles, a few put on a colonial comedy skit, some played tiddeley-winks with buttons, and others strung button bracelets and necklaces. We also listened to some Shakespeare (okay, I know we were a bit off with dates, but I was allowing for pioneer days as well!) and sang all kinds of silly songs. I'll have some photos to post in the next few days, but all in all it was a great day that made us all appreciate the modern day conveniences! Tomorrow we head back to the "present" and try and catch up on some schoolwork!

2 comments:

darcee said...

You might have just needed to keep going with the butter.... it does take forever.

I really enjoyed looking at your blog today, thanks for sharing your world.

Angela said...

I am so glad you all had fun, and the weather cooperated. Can't wait to see the pictures!