Friday, November 16, 2007

Fourteen and Nine years ago today.....

Today is one of the most special days of the year for me; both of my darling daughters were born on this date, exactly five years and 23 minutes apart. I am often amazed at that fact alone, that they share the same birthdate; I think God knew that my post menopause brain would need an easy way to remember! This morning I am letting them sleep in, and with cat and coffee closeby, I think back....

To my Authoress, my 14 year old, I can only say how proud I am of who you are becoming as you grow up (literally....she's up to about 5' 9" at this point!). The fact that you surprised me just by NOT being "Thomas" (I was convinced you were a boy!) has brought countless more surprises over the years. You were the first to teach me about truly self-less love; much as I love your Daddy, it's motherhood that really teaches that lesson like no other. The years of daycare and then school sped by, until finally I decided to listen to God's call to bring you home. Our relationship has gotten better since then, and I love our talks about the world. You are intelligent and caring; you share the same sarcastic sense of humor as both of your parents; you are becoming quite an accomplished actress/singer in our homeschool productions, and you are truly gifted as a writer. As we both struggle through your high school algebra, I am amazed at how quickly you will leave here. I know I still have alot to teach you about "independent" living, and yet I still want to cling to that girl that likes to curl up on the couch to have her back rubbed and read a book together. Have a most happy birthday.....I love you!

And to my nine year old Storm Queen.....aah, sometimes I wonder if your nickname should be changed. I know that we have struggled in various battles of the will over the past couple of years, and yet I see so much of myself at a younger age in you -- I know many of our battles are just a result of DNA from both Daddy and I. You entered the world on your sister's fifth birthday; I remember her telling everyone that God gave her a little sister for her birthday present! I remember being scared when you first were born as you needed to head off to the intensive care unit for a couple of days....but today you are such a beautiful young lady with such a strong spirit to live! I thought your sister had taught me the most about selfless love, but you only added a new lesson; no matter how many children that come along, there is always more love to share! You have a smile that can light up a whole room, and a laugh that is contagious to most around you. Your curiosity about things around you amazes me, as I tote library books on all KINDS of subjects for you to read. You are SO smart for your young years, and have such an empathetic heart to the underdog or the disadvantaged. You are the one who really taught me to say a prayer whenever we hear an ambulance. I know right now you struggling to see all the incredible gifts that God has given you, and I pray that you will come to see them as so many others see them in you. I also see your strong spirit, and recognize that rebellious tendency that I had in my young adult years. You will someday be a leader....even as you doubt yourself at times now (as I did often!), you will have people looking to you as you mature. Once your confidence in yourself really matures, you will never be swayed by what the "in" crowd is doing, for you are one that lives for her convictions. I love you so much!!

So to both my darling daughters, enjoy this wonderful day! I am so thankful to God that He gave me the privilege of being your mom!

2 comments:

Theresa ♥ said...

What a beautiful post.

Angela said...

Happy Birthday to both sweet girls! Knowing both your dear daughters as I do, I must tell you that the greatest gift they have is the blessing of YOU as a mother! They are amazing kids, and you are doing such a wonderful job with each of them (as different as they are!) Enjoy your day, and let them know we have gifts for them next week!