Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Wading through paper and boxes

Well, the commercial end of Christmas is finally over. The girls have spent the day playing with their new goodies (Storm Queen was thrilled with her Nintendo DS, and the Authoress has been watching DVD's and reading her manual to the MP3 player she got), and Mommy took not one but TWO naps! I love Christmas at home....it's so much more relaxing.

Last night we went to the children's Mass for which I was cantoring. We like this Mass because it's early, but it's so chaotic. We got there an hour early and the family ended up 2/3 of the way back. By 4:00, with stilll half an hour before Mass began, the place was standing room only. I always have such mixed feelings when I witness this twice a year pilgrimage to church...part of me wants to scream, "where are you the rest of the year? Don't you know He's here ALL the time?", and then another part of me gives thanks that people are coming to celebrate His birth, and perhaps this is the time that God whispers to their souls to bring them back on a regular basis. During communion, we were singing "What Child is This?", and I was so sad to see so many faces registering no emotion....or more likely, the agitation that Mass was too crowded, or too long, or too noisy with kids all over, or too hot...and please can we get out of here soon. I have a hard time singing that song without tearing up....

This, this, is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing...
Haste, haste to bring Him laud, the babe, the Son of Mary.


It's HIM!! He's come, and He's HERE! How can you not be excited? How can you not want to sing out on the mountain tops that He has arrived? This is my Christmas Eve, and I am so grateful to have my soul sing out with joy. I pray that some of those that come to Mass on just a couple of obligatory holidays will somehow see the true joy that radiates from some of us there. At the same time, I don't want to sound like a Pharisee....I'm no better than any of them....I come to Mass all too often full of distractions, or in the wrong mindset. May the magic of Christmas Eve Mass stay with me this coming year....may each Sunday be a reminder once again that He has COME....each week He comes again and again FOR REAL in the Eucharist....each week I should be flinging myself on my knees and saying again,

This, this, is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing...
Haste, haste to bring Him laud, the babe, the Son of Mary.


Hope you all had a blessed Christmas!

1 comment:

Angela said...

What a wonderful reminder of what the season is all about. Beautifully said!