Wednesday, March 26, 2008

And this is why we homeschool...

Aah, spring! Today was a glorious day of "flexible" homeschooling!! This morning we got a call from the Authoress' best friend, who is now home from 2 months of inpatient treatment for Anorexia; her mom (a dear friend) is away this week on business, so I told them to stay in touch. Well, she was really feeling like she wanted to get out of the house for a bit. As I hadn't really started any show tasks, and I saw the temperature already at 58, I quickly agreed. The Authoress almost jumped out of bed (gee, she doesn't do that for Algebra!), and we were out the door within a half hour with packed sandwiches and water bottles. We spent the next couple of hours at a local park; the older girls went off for a quiet walk to catch up, and the Storm Queen and I had a nice lunch together.....at one point, I leaned down and kissed her and said, "And this is why we homeschool!"

With only a few weeks left on our calendar, and a not REALLY long list of things left to do, it was a wonderful break in the routine. As so many kids are only able to dream about that 2:00 bell ringing, we spent the day outside in the glorious sunshine. Afterwards we headed to their house and the girls all watched a movie while I did some planning for my Literary Analysis class next year.

Tomorrow I'll get back to the show prep in earnest, tackling the puzzle pieces that still need final bonding and velcro attached....but all in all, it was a day to seize and treasure!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

What a treat! Yes, my dear, our blessings are many through our choices.
I wouldn't trade it for the world!