Thursday, March 06, 2008

California, Here I Go!

Found an article from LA TIMES today cited by Jonah Goldberg at National Review about a disturbing ruling in California.

It seems as though the State court has ruled that only parents with teaching credentials may be able to continue to homeschool. Sadly, the case that brought the ruling to the STate was a question of abuse -- just another of the few bad cases out there that give homeschoolers a bad rap.

I am totally FOR parents having to be accountable for teaching their children. Living in PA where we have stricter rules than alot of states, I have no problem with providing the school district with objectives, evaluations, and portfolios. Just as God calls me to be accountable to HIM in teaching my kids, I am also called to be accountable at the local level that an education is truly taking place.

That being said, I also believe that accountability should BE at the local level, and not mandated by state laws -- especially when they result from the minority cases where teaching is NOT going on.

If this isn't overturned, I suspect there'll be a whole lot of homeschoolers moving OUT of the Golden State.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I've been following this, and actually this has always been the state LAW. This is why CA has formed umbrella schools, etc. Follow this link for a great explanation, though you must take Doc with a grain of salt! http://docsdomain.net/blog/?p=661