Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Facing my phobias....one at a time

Today was a monumental day in my life. I returned to the dentist after YEARS of being away -- and I do mean YEARS. I have had a phobia of the dentist after a couple of bad experiences as a young adult, so for most of my adult and married life I've shied away. Yes, I take the girls for their check ups twice a year, and sit in the waiting room and support them, and talk nicely to the staff....but NEVER had wanted to venture any closer than that.

All that changed last week on my 49th birthday, when I "treated" myself to a DumDum lollipop. Biting into it halfway through, half of a tooth, along with a good part of the filling, came off as well. That'll teach me to treat myself on my birthday after giving up junk food this year!! :O)

As a result of my birthday "gift", I knew the call had to be made. Today was the day. I've fought little anxieties the past week, and this morning when I woke up I had true butterflies not just fluttering around inside, but feeling more like mad, buzzing bees ready to sting their way out! However, I ventured forth anyway, telling myself that it was all in my head. This was a NICE dentist. He would NOT hurt me. He might not even yell at me. Much.

I got there early enough to fill out the paperwork, and then heard the dreaded words: "Okay, Mrs. so-and-so, it's YOUR turn to cross the threshold." My insides were ALL then ready to flee, but I swallowed hard and took a deep breath, and said a HUGE prayer, and went in. A half hour later, I had had an xray done of the tooth, and a preliminary scope of my mouth for the first time in over two decades.

The dentist WAS nice. And he DIDN'T hurt. He didn't even yell -- too much. The GOOD news is that my teeth, aside from all the fillings I've carried around, are in pretty good shape. I may not even need to have this one pulled. I go back in a few weeks for a LONG appointment, so that alot of xrays and some gum work can be done, as well a temporary cap for the broken tooth. I have promised myself that I will continue going from here on in. Maybe my Ape husband won't have to love me when my teeth are in a cup for awhile yet.

When I got home, there was a huge homemade banner hanging that he and the girls had made that said "Congratulations! You survived!!" He had also lit a candle in the shrine for me (St. Jude, maybe?). Gotta love that man.

SO....as my first half century of life is almost over, I've faced phobia number one.
That means that when I turn 98, I'll have to deal with the frog one. I think I'm safe for awhile!

No comments: