Saturday, March 22, 2008

Remembering the Easter Vigil

As a convert, I have warm memories of the Easter Vigil....it seems hard to believe that it's been 17 years now that I received Eucharist for the first time. Jen, over at Et-Tu? shares her thoughts one year after she took the same step. I couldn't say it better, so I'll just link to her blog!

I remember I also had a major problem with Eucharist being the real presence as I journeyed through RCIA. Even a week before Easter Vigil, while on retreat, I shared my doubts. I wasn't sure I could really take the final step if I couldn't really profess that I believed it was the true Body & Blood. She was a wise woman, and pointed out that some things we may never have TOTAL belief in, and in those times, one had to leap on faith alone. I chose to follow her advice, and even while receiving, I remember praying, "Okay, God, I'm still not totally sure on this, but I DO know that I've come to believe so much about the faith, that I'll take Your Word on it for now."

About a month later, I was alone in the church for adoration, and because I was alone, I was conversing with God out loud. My moment of revelation finally came, and I blurted out, "Well, Lord, I guess I must believe it's really You, now....otherwise, I'm sitting here in church having a conversation with a piece of bread!". Sometimes the leap comes first, and the faith follows.

Have a Blessed Easter everyone.....and give thanks to God that He has risen!!! ALLELUIA!!

No comments: