Monday, May 26, 2008

Sunday Saints and Sacraments ...... a bit late!

Yesterday I decided to have a day of rest, and even stayed away from the computer for most of the day. I came across a post last night that made me cry....thanks to Adoro Te Devote for a beautiful post on this feast of the Body and Blood of our Lord. At my parish, our priest had a similar homily, and pointed out that for Catholic Christians, "this is what it's all about....today.....the Eucharist." Because we ARE flesh and blood, we need to be saved HERE, in our flesh and blood...and as we receive, Jesus is saying to us, "YOU are worth it....YOU are part of me". It was an awe-inspring day for me.

While "resting", I read one of the books I had taken out from our local library. Ruth Sanderson's done a beautiful job with SAINTS: LIVES AND ILLUNIMATIONS. Here is her own website showing some of her art. I loved the book not only because of the stories of the saints, but because her illustrations and page borders are modeled after the illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages.

All in all, it was a really refreshing day. Sometimes I really NEED to just take time and rest. It reminds of one of my favorite quotes by Augustine:

“Thou hast created us for Thyself, and our heart is not quiet until it rests in Thee.”

No comments: